Thursday, April 25, 2013

New Job

So every now and then, money stresses me out. I mean, if everyone is being honest, money stresses everyone out at some point or another. Leaving the security of an amazing job after Lyla was born, was just a tiny bit scary!! I know it was the RIGHT decision for our family, and my husband works AMAZINGLY hard for our family, so I do not want to belittle any of that in any way. Satan certainly knows which buttons to push for me though. He knows just how to get me. I LOVE being at home with Lyla. I could not imagine someone else spending the bulk of the day with her and getting all those moments with her. I am SO thankful for the opportunity to have this special time with her.

Being a stay at home mom is the best, most difficult job in the world, however, in the recent months, I have found that I have the second best job in the world....being a nurse. Becoming a nurse was seriously the best decision I could have ever made at such a young age. It truly is such a stable job. Everyone will always need nurses. You can float in and out of the profession as your lifestyle requires. AND it is SO versatile!! A nurse was WHO I WAS before I became a momma. It was how I defined myself, I found my self-worth there, and I LOVED what I did. And then I became a mom and loved that job even more!!

Now, I get to do both!! I was approached back in November about re-joining the Northside team, this time in their Mother's First Department. I was a little nervous about "going back to work", but after Adam and I discussed it, A LOT, and I spent lots of time in prayer, we decided that it might be a good opportunity. And I must say, it has been such a neat, exciting, great decision! I am teaching Northside's "Baby Essentials" class. I was a little unsure about standing up in front of a room of adults, teaching them, public speaking, if you will. I do not like attention, I do not like all eyes on me, I do not like speaking in front of people AT. ALL. I am in NO WAY a teacher. I mean, that's why I became a nurse, right?? Everytime I had to do it growing up in school, I just remember feeling sick to my stomach. I would get hot, sweaty and get all red in the face. I would stumble over words, and just read directly from my paper, never looking up at the class staring back at me.....Not really teacher material, right?

This has definitely been a new growing experience for me. The best part, well there are several best parts otherwise I would not be doing this, so I will tell you: 1. The class is three hours long and they are offered Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. There are two classes offered on Saturdays (9am-12pm and 1-4pm) (Tuesday and Thursday are from 6-9pm) So GREAT hours and hours that Adam is home, so no child care needed. It gives Adam and Lyla easy one on one time together. Plus, not only do they offer the class at the Atlanta campus, but also the Alpharetta (CLOSE to home) and Forsyth. 2. I am only gone from home a few short hours, and if I teach during the week, which I definitely prefer, I am only missing bedtime. No super early mornings!! 3. The group of teachers I work with is amazing! Everyone wants to help each other out, especially if there are scheduling problems. 4. I am only teaching 4-6 classes A MONTH!! In a busy month, I have taught 8 classes, but still, amazing!! 5. I get to teach NEW parents what I am most passionate about, becoming PARENTS!

It took me a few classes to get into my groove and to find my place as a qualified instructor. Really I am just a mom helping parents prepare as well as they can to enter the journey of parenthood. I pretend I am discharging these parents into the world of becoming parents and try to help them feel a little more confident about being responsible for these new little members of their family. It has become so much fun. I am by no means "an expert" but giving these parents confidence on the basic parenting skills brings so much joy. Even though I am out away from my baby big girl, I am able to use my experiences with her, whether my mistakes or things I have found that work. I am able to laugh with these parents as they change a diaper for the first time, encourage breastfeeding, and empower them in those moments long hours of fussy babies.

Since I had been gone longer than a year from Northside, I had to go through orientation all over again. I did this right before Christmas and then oriented after the new year. I watched one class, yes only ONE class, before I was observed teaching my first class. Talk about being intimidated! After that, I was on my own. I have loved getting to meet these parents in all walks of life, all stages of pregnancy, and hearing the unique stories of getting to this point in their journey. There are adopting parents, parents that have surrogates, and there are parents that are carrying their own babies.

While I love my life as a mom, this new part of my life gives me something that is just mine. It gives me piece of mind where finances are concerned, not that I am bringing that much in, but it has become our fun money. Lyla loves asking about the babies, "teach babies momma?". She has been up to the classroom several times and is in baby heaven with all the baby dolls the parents practice with. I feel good about only having to leave Lyla for a little bit, and it is the best when I come in her room in the morning and she squeals "Momma home!!". It gives me an adult interaction outside of our playdates. And I am actually kinda good at it. I mean, it is something I am passionate about. I love hearing that parents feel better walking out of the class, where their baby is concerned, than when they walked in. Now, I know better than anyone, that nothing can prepare you for what is to come when that baby is born, but they will find that out when they get there ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment