Monday, January 24, 2011

Baby Bottle Boot Camp

So yesterday was my first day back at work. Never have 12 weeks flown by faster than these. I must say, the assignment they gave me was wonderful and my podmates were even more wonderful. Work-wise the transition couldn't have been easier. Unfortunately for Adam, his day was not so easy. Our little Lyla, who I must say is so easy going and such a happy girl, was not so yesterday. I didn't do a good job of preparing her to take her bottles. Adam had given her one about a month ago when I was gone longer than three hours. He said she took it without any issues. She is such an easy baby, I figured that she would have no problem when I went back to work. So she never got another one....before yesterday. BIG MISTAKE!

I decided, selfishly, to wake her up and feed her before I left for work. Good thing I did, because at 11am Adam was texting me to say she would not take the bottle. I called, heard her screaming in the background and my heart broke. I had been doing so well holding myself together....until that moment. He tried three different bottles, with three different nipples. The result was always the same....screaming every time the bottle came near her mouth. By 12:30pm, he was in the car headed up to the hospital for me to feed her.

Poor Adam. I felt so bad for him because he was so excited about getting to spend the whole day with her by himself. Even through my long list of instructions the night before, he was so excited. Yesterday he asked me how many more Sundays he would have to watch her ;) He is so great with her and she loves him so much, I was SO surprised she reacted to the bottle that way. In between her feedings she was perfectly fine. Go figure.

After I fed her at 12:30, I gave him some nipples and bottles from the hospital for him to try and see if she liked those better. I even gave him the freshly pumped milk from that morning. No such luck. My mom even went out and bought different bottles and nipples. Still no luck. All together I think Adam tried 5 or 6 different bottles with the same result every time. It didn't matter the position she was in or who tried (my mom, sister and dad had no luck either).

It didn't matter how hungry she got, this is one determined girl not to take the bottle. My mom informed me I would not take a bottle either...no matter how many times she tried! I am in trouble or I guess I should say whoever is taking care of her while I am at work is in trouble.

Needless to say, when I got home at 7:45, Lyla ate like she had never been fed before in her life! That stinker! So....I am doing some serious bottle boot camp this week before I go back to work on Friday. My mom has her that day. Hopefully we can get it figured out before then. Go figure...I never once thought she would have an issue going from breastfeeding to the bottle. Boy was I wrong!

Hopefully we can go from this......

....to this (Adam was by himself and I wanted a picture, talk about multitasking!)

And from this....

....to this (a happy baby and in turn a happy mom and dad)

3 comments:

  1. She will survive! Good luck with the bottle boot camp, she will get used to the bottles, she was just in shock that first day! Tell Adam he did everything he could. The first day I left Brice with Justin, Justin tried to cut his fingernails and made him bleed, it was awful! Daddy's have to figure this stuff out too and then then kids would rather hang out with dad and do fun stuff while mom's at work! Hang in there, it will get easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. poor Lyla, she'll get the hang of it...if anyone can get her to bottle feed its you....i mean you feed babies that don't want to eat for a living :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine had major issues with her son taking a bottle once she went back to work. The ped told her to rub vanilla on the outside rim of the nipple so that he could smell it(not taste it). That seemed to help. Worth a try I guess!

    ReplyDelete