Friday, March 15, 2013

Christmas Eve

The anticipation on Christmas Eve is probably my most favorite feeling during the Holiday time. I might even say I like it better than actual Christmas morning, but now that I have a child, that might change (Christmas morning was quite fun with her!!). 

Growing up, we would always go to church and then come home and put out the luminaries that our neighborhood as a whole did. We loved lighting them with our dad as our mom finished up getting dinner ready. We always have the same Christmas dinner: Prime Rib, twice baked potatoes, asparagus, and sister schubert rolls. YUM! Then, we would take a drive around the neighborhood to look at the luminaries and Christmas lights. After that, we would call our neighbors and see if we could come visit with them. Our neighbors two doors down from my parent's house were surrogate grandparents to us growing up. It was not until middle school that my grandmother moved to Atlanta, so John and Elaine adopted us. It would be several more years until they had a grandchild of their own, so they loved us well. Their two children were all grown up by the time we moved in. We would go over to their house and Mr Freeman would read us "The Night Before Christmas". We took a picture of him reading it to us every year, so there are probably about 15 or so pictures of us. I mean we were serious about this tradition. It started with his kids. The year I was sick, he was on chemo, so I had to stay home, but he called and read it over the phone to me. The year I worked night-shift Christmas, he called me at the hospital and read it over the phone with me. He would do the same with his daughter who was a flight attendant. The adults would have a glass of wine and then they would give us a Christmas present. We would sit a laugh and laugh. Such great memories! Mr Freeman died two years ago this Fall and it was SO incredibly hard for us. So, before he died, we went and bought the recordable version of the book from Hallmark for him to read it to us one last time and record himself reading it. That was right before Lyla's second Christmas. That way we have it to play each Christmas Eve.

Adam took the day off and we just hung out. We planned to go to the earliest Christmas Eve service at our church, so that way it would not be right in the middle of dinner time. Service started at 3:30pm. On Sunday, the day before, when we were leaving Adam's parent's house, I did not think my stomach was feeling that great, but you know how your mind can kind of play tricks on you when everyone else is sick, you get "that feeling" as well. We made it home and after sleeping in my own bed and waking up the next morning I thought I felt alright. Well, right before heading to church I knew I was not feeling good stomach wise, but I really did not want to miss Christmas Eve service and who wants to be sick on Christmas?? So I just tried to ignore it. I really did not eat anything, but brought some crackers and a drink to church. There is only one other time I have been sick on Christmas and it was actually the year I met Adam. It was horrible. It is NO fun being sick on Christmas. And this is the year that Lyla is starting to be REALLY excited about Ho-Ho coming. I was not going to miss it!

You know where this is heading....right?

We planned on doing Christmas Eve at my parent's house and then Christmas morning with everyone at our house. We got home from church and I knew I could not take another step, or even sit up for that matter. All I could do was cry. And that is what I did...and I am not a crier AT ALL. I was so upset, so emotional about being sick on Christmas Eve and missing it. I was just so disappointed that I could not talk my body out of being sick for the next 48 hours. I got in bed and after convincing Adam that I would be "fine" without them and crying on the phone to my mom and dad, he and Lyla headed over to my parent's house for dinner without me. Another tradition we have is that my parents always let us open one present on Christmas Eve...pajamas! Of course I have continued that tradition with Lyla as I love the thought of being able to open something and knowing that it will always be cute new pj's to wear coming down the stairs on Christmas morning. So I sent Lyla's gift with Adam and she got to open it that night. My mom was SO sweet and sent my gift of pj's home with them to open. Lyla was so excited for me to open it.

They came back right after dinner to check on me. I had slept the whole time they were gone and luckily had not gotten sick....yet. I hate the whole getting sick! I REALLY hate throwing up, like REALLY. HATE. IT.

He got Lyla in bed and we decided that we would postpone Christmas morning until I was feeling better, which was a good thing since I was up all night being sick :(

The next day I really was feeling much better. I was still weak and did not really eat anything, but it really must have been one of those 24 hour bugs. I still did not really eat anything the rest of the week, you know how sensitive your stomach is after all that. 

I was so bummed that we had to put off Christmas and now you are beginning to see why Lyla (after all her Christmases) thought for several weeks after, that Ho-Ho came EVERY night.







All dressed up for Christmas Eve Service. She did go to the nursery this year (she LOVES the nursery), but maybe next year she will want to join us in service. It is always so beautiful and geared towards the kids.
Adam and I.
My family.
LOVE.
Lyla and Mimi.

Another family was actually in the middle of taking pictures in front of the big tree at church and Lyla kinda ran and took over. So we snapped a few pictures before I needed to get home. We missed Allison and Dan this year on Christmas Eve. They went and celebrated with Dan's family. Nana had gone to New Mexico to spend Christmas with her oldest daughter, so she was gone as well. It was just the three of us, my parents, Sarah and my Uncle Fred (my mom's older brother). 

Stayed tuned for Christmas #2!!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry you were sick on Christmas. Sounds like you made the best of it. The only year I have been sick ON Christmas Day was the year I was pregnant with Brice, as in 31 weeks pregnant....talk about misery. I had to leave work early. Here's to many healthy Christmases!

    ReplyDelete