Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Hilton Head 2013

We headed down to Hilton Head for our annual beach vacation the last week in June. Lyla and I were there from June 27th until July 3rd. Everyone was there for a long weekend, including Adam, my parents, Allison and Dan, Sarah and Jonathan. It was super relaxed. No plans. No work. Just fun in the sun. We found this trip that Lyla is OBSESSED with the beach. Like, never wanted to even venture to the pool. Only wanted to be on the sand and in the ocean from sun up to sun down. 

That kinda made it REALLY easy. This was probably the easiest trip to the beach with her and it made it even that much more enjoyable. Because let's face it, you can always be happy when you are at the beach no matter the circumstances. 

The first night we got there, we headed straight to the beach. Like, we got out of the car and walked straight there. Lyla was too excited to wait another minute. Sarah and I had driven together with Lyla. My parents were in the middle of an extended stay, which was so great for them to be able to get away and spend time at the beach. Adam and Jonathan were driving down together after work on Friday. And Allison and Dan met us as well on Friday after they finished up their work days.  

We had perfect weather. Of course we had the occasional beach shower, but you know those never last long and give us a great excuse to check out the deals at the outlets. 



Getting straight to the beach. Feeling the wind in her hair. She is in heaven.



I did not think about the fact that she would be SO excited to be at the beach that she would want to get in the water right away. I thought she might just enjoy a nice walk on the beach. Haha, right, a two year not getting in the water.





Within minutes she was soaked from head to toe, and we did not bring so much as a towel.




Oh well. Who cares when you are at the BEACH!!


My goodness I love that cute little bottom. We told her she had to at least keep her panties on, after all this is not a European beach. Gosh, I love that childhood innocence. 


She loves throwing the ball for Millie.


After that, each morning we got up and headed straight to the beach to spend the day. Yes, of course we put our bathing suits on and packed a lunch. Lyla was quite content to spend her day running in and out of the water, playing in the sand, making castles, and her FAVORITES, jumping the waves and collecting seashells. We had quite a nice collection of seashells to take home, which is saying a lot (like how hard we looked for those shells) because Hilton Head just doesn't have that many shells on the beach. Unfortunately we forgot them and Mimi and Gramps were supposed to bring them. Gramps never got that memo, so those shells found a new home and Mimi spent her next week at the beach hunting for new shells to bring home. I think she may have even purchased a new sand dollar??


Reason to have a child? ;)








Sea Shell!


Love those baby sandy toes.



Back and forth. In and out. I found the ocean was MUCH easier than the pool. Even though you still have to watch her closely, it isn't like the pool. She can sit in one inch of water and splash around happily. 




Mimi and Lyla jumping the waves.







I must admit, I am not an 'ocean swimmer'. I like to be able to see the bottom and what is swimming around me. It was so nice having so many people willing to jump the waves with Lyla. I did get in a few times because she asked, but mostly I was happy to be on the other side of the camera.


Lunch time!


Some friends from church happened to be on the island the same time as us, so we got the kids together and boy did they have a blast! We took them to the fountains by the public entrance, which Lyla had loved last year. This year, not so much. After five minutes, she was ready to hit the beach.






Lee and Lyla. They had SO much fun together and were so cute.







I think the water was cold!


Sweet friends giving sweet hugs.


Ready to get out on the beach. Best thing about going in the evening with a two year old to the beach? No need to lather on the sunscreen!


The sky was really pretty that night.








Finally the rest of the crew got to the beach and Saturday morning we headed straight to our spot on the beach. It worked out so perfectly. We would pack up the wagon in the morning with snacks, drinks, fresh clothes, the umbrella and Lyla's lunch. She could play until her little heart's content and then play some more. We could relax and hangout, maybe have one of those drinks...or two. Then I was able to feed her lunch on the beach. After, I could get her all rinsed off, changed and head back to the condo for nap. Then we could go to the pool or back to the beach for some serious relaxation while she napped. Can you say thankful for grandparents?? My choice was normally the pool.







Sarah and Jonathan. Even though they are no more (at the current moment) I must say, he brings so much joy and laughter to our family and made our trip so much fun. Lyla is obsessed with him and enjoyed spending the summer with her Bomb Pop eating buddy. Do you remember those bomb pop popsicles? Those two were obsessed with them.





I must say she is the cutest.



Time to jump the waves with Aunt Sarah.





















This girl loves her Aunt Sarah and is super sad she lives so far-d-way. 


Lunch time.



No better place to eat, than on the beach!



Melts my heart!


Of course the beach isn't the beach without going out for some good seafood. We went to Steamer's and boy is that place good.







Love my family.


Sweet parents. So thankful for these two and all they do for us.


Allison and Dan.


And Sarah.


Of course Lyla wanted to take some pictures of her own.





Sweet sisters.


Thought this sign was funny, especially since Sarah had just graduated. 


Serious love.




Haha.


Classic Lyla and Sarah picture.







Of course I had to get my annual Lyla pictures on the beach. I love this girl so much. I cannot believe this is our third summer with her at the beach. And that she is this grown up. She is such a sweet little girl who fills my heart with so much. I have loved this stage of life with her.



She is so full of personality and says the sweetest, cutest, funniest things. She is my little buddy.



I mean really? Can it slow down?











She had to be bribed this year to even take these pictures. The promise of gummies and a change into a bathing suit does wonders.



Quality time with Aunt Allison.


Could live here...serious beach babe.


Last morning on the beach.








At one point while we were there, Lyla started complaining that her eyes hurt. Salt water? Chlorine? I am not sure. But something made her eyes hurt so bad. So pitiful. Nothing a washcloth and Mimi can't fix.


Packing up the car is always a sad moment. Such a bummer to leave and head back to reality. So glad to know we can come back anytime. I love making memories as a family here with Lyla and Adam and love that she will have such a love for this place and the beach as she gets older. Family time is such a sweet time and something I cherish. Especially now with Sarah living in Texas, I look forward to the moments we have together. And cannot wait to come back to the beach!


No comments:

Post a Comment