Thursday, September 20, 2012

Quick Getaway

Adam and I had the opportunity to get away on a little vacation this summer....just the TWO of us!! It was absolutely amazing. While I will be the first to admit I missed Lyla, I came back saying that I wished our vacation was LONGER!

We are pretty low-key when it comes to vacations and REALLY needed some time to un-wind. So we chose to go to an all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. We had honeymooned at a Sandals Resort, but this time went with Excellence Resort. We were a little nervous since we did not know anyone that had gone to Excellence, but we figured as long as there was a beach, pool, good drinks and endless food we would be good to go.

I decided that for my first "real" time away from Lyla, five days would be the perfect amount. Next time we will be doing six or seven :) She was in good hands with both sets of grandparents, who were so sweet to split the time while we were away. I am sure Lyla did not even notice we were gone and I know that the grandparents loved having that special time with her. We will definitely be taking advantage again! We are so thankful for our parents and the fact that they love us and Lyla so much to let us go on vacation to spend time together.

I want Adam to know that he is a priority over everything else, except for God in my life. I know a lot of the time he feels my focus is on Lyla first. I has been an adjustment since having Lyla, and I hope to do a better job of putting my husband first and love him well. I know these vacations are so important for us to have that time, away from our kids, just to reconnect and be together without distractions.

So the week of our vacation (we went Saturday-Wednesday) we were GLUED to the weather channel since Hurricane Isaac was headed straight for the DR. We did not want to spend our whole vacation in the rain or get stuck there if it was bad enough. We debated about canceling, but in the end just decided to go ahead and go. Atleast we would be able to catch up on sleep, read, eat and drink, right?! Our flight was never delayed and when we got there it was slightly overcast. We had an hour long cab ride from the airport to the resort. I loved seeing part of the country and the people. Those kinds of sights just fill a certain place in my soul. I love soaking up the different cultures.

The resort was beautiful. The room was really nice and we paid extra to be in the Excellence Club which allowed us special services. We changed into our suits and hit the lounge chairs by the pool. It rained a little while we were getting ready for dinner that night and that was it! The rest of the trip it could not have been more PERFECT weather. Clear skies, sun, breeze, blue water. Perfection. Honestly, this may sound boring to some, but we did nothing, absolutely N-O-T-H-I-N-G the entire time we were there. It was A-mazing. I think moms of kids can relate to that feeling of having no responsibility for anything is SO relaxing.

So our days were filled with sleeping in, eating, reading by the pool and on the beach, eating, drinking, naps, drinking, more reading and more eating. Then we would go in as the sun was setting to get ready for dinner. The restaurants were actually pretty good, some better than others, and of course we ate more than we needed to. It was so nice being able to enjoy every meal for five days straight. Thats 15 meals! No kid!

Our vacation ended all too soon and like I said we were sad to leave, but so excited to see our Lyla girl. And we knew going home that Adam had the rest of the week off to spend with us, plus Labor Day!! It was so nice to have him around.

I think we would do Excellence again, although we did decide that there were a few things that put Sandals above it. #1. At Sandals they tell you ahead of time that you are not allowed to tip. No tips would be accepted, so do not even bring the money to try. At Excellence the more you tip, the better service you get. Umm, hello? I just paid good money to come to an ALL-INCLUSIVE so that I would not have to worry about money. Needless to say, this cheap girl did not tip because I did not feel like it was right. I did however tip both cab drivers for getting us safely to and from the airport to the resort. #2. At Sandals they had a desk where you went to sign up for the "extras" you want to do. If you wanted to go out and do an excursion, you get to the desk or called to schedule it. At Excellence they had people walking around ALL. DAY. LONG. asking you to sign up for the excursions. Excuse me, can't you see that I am laying here reading or napping??! If I want to do something I will find you! I came here to get AWAY from the nagging!

Our trip was amazing and I cannot wait for our next getaway. That might be awhile though since we just bought a house (post to come). Goodbye sandy beaches, hello my sweet Lyla.

So the camera basically staying in the room the entire time, of course, but here are a few pictures I remembered to take.

Wonderful lounge chairs out at the beach.

Beautiful blue water on a beautifully gorgeous day!

Enjoying relaxing.



Last night.

Pool.

This is the life.


Sad to leave this. So blessed to have had this opportunity to go on this wonderful vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment