Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Road Trip

We went to Texas for three weeks. We drove 13 hours over two days. We celebrated Aunt Sarah graduating from TCU. We saw the sights of Fort Worth. We traveled to meet up with old friends. We visited with family. We saw Shamu in San Antonio. And we rounded out the trip celebrating Emily and Bryant as they tied the knot in McKinney. I unpacked and packed at eight different locations. Lyla and I ate out more than we had in the last year. Maps on my iphone became my new best friend. I missed my house. I cried when we left Texas. It was such a great three weeks!! 

That of course is the VERY short version!!

Lyla was so sweet to help pack her own suitcase. She packed her blankets, teddy bear and seahorse. All her essentials. And she did all this packing without her pants on :)


Adam, Lyla and I left Thursday May 9th after Adam got off of work. We hit the road right about 6pm and headed to Jackson, Mississippi. You would have thought we were packing up and MOVING to Texas with everything that got packed in the car. I will know better for next time that I packed entirely way too much. Just the fact that I had to pack and unpack eight different times (not counting the initial and unpacking once we got home), I will know better what/how to pack for any other trip from here on out. I brought a ton of Lyla's toys just in case we had down time and we hardly played with any of them. She mainly just played with her new "prises" surprises I had for her along the way.


Thankfully we have wonderful friends that live in Jackson that welcomed us around midnight their time (our new time for the next three weeks.) It was nice to be able to split the trip in half and get a goodnight's sleep before entering into Texas. Lyla fell asleep around 9pm (thank goodness for our travel DVD player!!). Once we got to Gray and Andrew's of course she wanted to get out and play. She kept saying "mourning time momma!!". She absolutely fell in love with Tucker, Gray and Andrew's great dane. He is HUGE and the sweetest baby in the world. We did not get to see Gray since the next day was Friday everyone had to work. But we did spend a little time visiting with Uncle Andrew before we went to bed, yes even Lyla stayed up with us. They both left before we got up but we would get to spend lots more time visiting with them on the way home. She is the most amazing southern cook I know. She left us homemade cinnamon rolls. They were TO.DIE.FOR. Literally. I am not a cinnamon roll person at all, but these were AMAZING!!


Lyla loved Tucker!! She was not scared of him on bit and was so sad to leave him. It made her feel better that we would be back to see him on the way home.

Lyla was so awesome in the car. I am telling you, those DVD players are the best. She just watched movies, played and ate! She got a little fussy towards the very end, as we sat in traffic, but I think we were all feeling it by then. We hardly stopped at all. I just put a diaper on Lyla so that we would not have to stop every few hours, but she did not like the fact that I wanted her to go in it. For the most part she was good about holding it (unless she fell asleep).

She cracks me up all the time. Once we were going stir crazy at the very end, Adam and I hear "Hey guys, hear me?!" from the backseat. It made us laugh so hard. Then she knew she was being funny and kept saying it! Just wanted to make sure we hadn't forgotten about her. At one point, Adam was looking at his phone while we sat in traffic and I said "ADAM!" so that he would pay attention to the road instead and he said "Katherine!!". The next thing we hear from the backseat "KAFRIN!!" "ADEM!!" I was laughing so hard. It was the first time I had heard her say our actual names. Too funny.

Lyla was so excited about going to Texas and seeing Sarah. We had been talking it up for weeks and weeks and she could not wait to get there. Once we were there she talked about "Teksas" all the time. She would ask if we were at "Teksas" or when we would go somewhere new she would ask to go back to "Teksas". I kept trying to explain to her that we were in Texas and the whole place was Texas. But she could not quite understand it. I think she thought Sarah's house was Texas.

It took us about 7 hours from Jackson to make it to Fort Worth. We got in around 5pm and met up with my parents and Sarah at the bed and breakfast we were staying at for the weekend. I am so glad we were all able to stay together in one place, just us, for the weekend to celebrate Sarah.

My aunt, uncle, nana, and my cousin William picked up Allison and Dan from the airport and met us for dinner. It was a long day and a late night, but we were so excited to be there!



There is so much to our trip, that it is way too much for one, two or even three blogs. Do not want to bore you, but also want to make sure I get it all down. So I will break it up into several blogs for you to enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. You are too sweet! We loved having y'all visit with us. Next trip to Atlanta, I will bring you a stash of cinnamon rolls for the freezer!!

    ReplyDelete