Wednesday, February 26, 2014

First Day of Preschool

So before we could head to Disney World, Lyla started PRESCHOOL. What??! How is she even old enough? I had mixed emotions about the whole thing. I felt like this was the beginning and the end. The beginning of my sweet girl growing up and getting to experience a whole world outside our home. A chance to make friends on her own. A chance to be away from mommy and daddy and make her own choices (both good and bad). A chance to learn new things. It was an end to her being a baby. Yes, she will always be my baby, but not in the same way. This was the end of her always being home with me. Being my constant buddy. Doing EVERYTHING with me. This was the beginning of her "school years". Never again would she be home full time. I was both excited for her, but my heart hurt at the same time.

We decided to start her in a two day a week program at a school right around the corner from our house. It is great. Literally three minutes from driveway to driveway. I love that it is more than just a daycare or mother's morning out. It is structured like school and she will actually learn things. Of course at this age I understand it is more about having fun and learning to interact with kids your own age without your parent's hovering over your every move. 

Her first day was just a meet and greet time with the kids, parents and teachers on Tuesday August 20th. Parents got to stay the whole time and the kids got to meet the teachers, the other kids and check out the room. The parents had gone to Parent's night the night before where we got the run down and met the teachers. Lyla's teachers are Ms Cathy and Ms Karen. Two sweet ladies. Ms Karen has actually since been switched to another class, so Ms Lindsey joined their class, who moved at Christmas and now she has Ms Dawn. It was a big adjustment for her to go through so many teacher so quickly, especially losing Ms Karin. Lyla really bonded with her and was so sad for her to not be in her class anymore. We are so blessed to have had them all as teachers. There are some sweet families in her class. A couple of families I actually recognized, one from church and one dad is the brother of a friend of mine from elementary school. Talk about small world. I am excited for Lyla to make new friends and I am excited to get to know the other parents.

On Thursday that week, August 22nd, they started gradual entry for the two year old classes. So half of Lyla's class came for the first hour and fourty-five minutes and the other half came the second half of the morning. Lyla was in the group that went in for the second half. She had NO problem. Which did not surprise me one bit. She has never had an issue being dropped off at church nursery or making friends. She went in without hesitation and had an awesome time. They did the gradual entry process the next week as well, so she went on Tuesday late morning again, but then missed Thursday due to Disney World. Once we got back from our trip, after Labor Day, they went for the full four hours. Which, did you know how fast four hours goes by when you are by yourself getting things done?? Like a blink of an eye!!


Proud of her bag and excited about the first day of school!



When did she grow up?



So excited for 'cool'!









I couldn't get a good picture of her walking in to class. She was too excited and could not wait to go in!



First art creation at school. Those little hands.


I signed up to be the room mom this year, so we will see how that goes. I am all about being involved in my children's school experience. My mom was totally involved and I loved having her around. I am excited to see what this year holds and I am so excited for Lyla to experience it!

No comments:

Post a Comment