Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Rest of Our First Night

After Lyla had had some quality time with her new baby, we were ready to have the grandparents join us!

Mimi getting her first look!


In love already!


Honey holding Logan for the first time.



Honey and PawPaw.


Sweet boy! All clean, full belly and tired from his first evening!


I mean seriously perfect!


PawPaw getting some love!


Think he is a little excited?!



And Gramps. What can I say? He has such a special relationship with my kids. It brings tears to my eyes as I think about it. He loves them so so so well. He is so silly and so goofy....those are two words that I would have never used to describe him when we were growing up. I guess having a house full of girls and being the dad, it is just a little bit different. But when you are the Gramps?? Well, all the pressure is off!! Haha. He is the best. And just to prove it...instead of wanting us to take a picture of him with Logan...he is teaching Logan how to take a selfie....is he culturally relevant or what? 



And I know these pictures are blurry, but I had to add them to remember the moment. It was time for us to move to our postpartum room and Lyla was beyond exhausted and needed to go home to bed. We wanted the transition to be as easy as possible while we were away, as Adam was staying at the hospital with Logan and I. So we gave her the option to go back with Mimi and Gramps to their house to spend the night or she could go back to our house with Honey and PawPaw. She said she wanted to be in her own bed.

She, however, did not want to leave me. She was so sad and I was so sad that she had to go. She started crying and said she wanted to see our new room so she could know where we would be. And she did not want to walk but instead wanted to ride in the wheelchair with me. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it was such a sweet moment to ride with my first baby in the wheelchair with me, feeling like there is NO WAY it has already been three and a half years since I delivered her right in this very hospital. It seems like just yesterday I was riding in the wheelchair up to the postpartum floor after having delivered her.


Me and my sweet firstborn who is now the best big sister in the world!



We got up to our new room and she gave her little brother his gift. A little blue elephant that vibrates and sings sweet lullabies for him to sleep with. She had had this picked out for ages. She never wavered, never had to think twice about it. She saw this and she knew her little Logan would love it. And she was right! He has not slept without it since!


She helped us get him all tucked in and then it was time to say goodbye so we all could get some sleep. It was well after 10pm by this point. Maybe even close to 11?? Definitely the latest she has ever stayed up. Her sweet little eyes welled up with tears, which just broke my heart. I knew it would happen. She is a momma's girl. A momma's girl. She always has been and I hope she always will be. I love our special bond. It is hard to be separated from her. I hated that I physically could not do anything to help her, so Adam carried her out to the car and that seemed to help her be ok. We promised she could come back first thing in the morning and hold her brother as much and as long as she wanted to ;)


After everyone left and it was quiet our nurse came in. Can I just say, she was the most amazing thing ever?? I did not get great care the first time around. I am not sure if they saw NICU RN and thought I knew what I was doing? Ummm, hello, never birthed a baby before!! So recovery was REALLY hard with Lyla, not to mention the Postpartum Depression I think I ended up with on top of it. It was just a hard transition all the way around. 

This time however the nurses were AMAZING! Seriously. They actually took care of me. And it was great! We had the same night nurse both nights and the same day nurse both days which made it super easy! Our night nurse got us settled in the first night, sat down with us and went through EVERYTHING with us. Seriously amazing. You might think it's the second time around. You know the routine. But I did not get all of this the first time. So getting it this time made it so much easier postpartum. She wanted to help me with everything, which was so great to know how attentive she was. She got us all settled in and then let us go to bed. Lyla was born so late (11:23pm) that we did not get into our room until well into the middle of the night. With Logan coming much earlier in the evening it was like we got a full night. I of course did not sleep very well. I just get so wired after delivery. And I just don't sleep well when I am not in my own bed. I remembered from last time that the healing process did not go very well, so this time I asked immediately for a doughnut to sit on and sleep on. I did not get off that thing the entire time I was in the hospital. And y'all, that thing WORKED! And no, they did not offer me one the first time around, surprise surprise. I also kept a cold ice pack on for days (even after I went home). And I used that epi foam every single time. A little nursing teaching goes a long way. Seriously. It literally did wonders and I could have skipped out of the hospital I felt so good.

I was so glad for a full night of rest. Both Logan and Adam slept well which was great. I fed Logan several times through out the night. I noticed that he only liked to eat on one side at a time. I think my milk came in really fast, like was in by the next day and one side seemed to satisfy him because he was getting so much. I guess your body just knows what to do since it has done it before. I also might have had lots of snuggle time with him throughout the night. Shhhh. Don't tell the nurses. I just realize the second time around how much quicker it goes and I wanted as much newborn snuggle as I could get! That new baby goodness. It was worth every minute!




2 comments:

  1. So glad you had a good experience this time on PP. I didn't realize you had a bad one with Lyla. So sorry. Yes, the epifoam is amazing, I took that stuff home even with Anna and Kyle! Or maybe just Kyle, can't remember now. And, yes, the cheating with keeping them in the bed gets worse with each kid! ;) I seriously wanted to cry for Lyla having to leave you, Anna would have done the same thing had Kyle been born late at night! Still so happy for you and love reading your recount of the experience!

    ReplyDelete